Courses & Workshops
The following courses, workshops and retreats are available as In-House, Online or weekend away options:
Natural Medicine Courses & Workshops
1. Integrative Natural Medicine Course
Recommended for anyone in healthcare professions: qualified doctors who want education in natural integrative medicine, natural health practitioners, those in health products industry, wellness practitioners, lecturers, physiotherapists, nursing professionals, psychologists, pharmacists, final year students BSc Genetics, Physiology, Psychology, BMedSci
AFTER COMPLETING THIS COURSE, PARTICIPANTS SHOULD HAVE A CLEAR IDEA OF:
- The need for an integrative natural medicine and wellness approach to health enhancing behaviour changes
- The cornerstones, definitions, aspects, personal responsibility and key systems support of a wellness infused lifestyle
- The difference between disease management and health / wellness promotion
- A changed perspective in health promotion:
- Practical stress solutions: tools, techniques, relaxercises and personal experience
- Ailments and illnesses as teachers and guides: an introduction to mind-body wellness with practical examples
- Basic nutrition: food and mood, phyto (plant) nutrients, system support eating, antioxidants, introduction: wellknown, well-researched herbal remedies
- Heart health
- Endocrine system health
- Immune system health
- Nervous system health
- Workplace enhancement
- Work-life balance
2. Health Coaching with Dr Arien
This course is about changing and maintaining healthy behavior. If you simply condemn unwanted behavior without acknowledging what you are getting out of it, you may not be able to give it up no matter how much harm it is causing. Throughout the course, the focus will remain on you and your decision to focus on what you want, not resisting what is, and definitely not focusing on what you don’t want! Your focus will be on finding solutions for your health challenge: e.g. stress, depression, chronic fatigue, heart, menopause and digestive problems.Reading Health & Happiness and Stress Solutions, as well as articles (e.g. Molecules of Emotion and Alchemy of Healing), will provide the background information for the work we’re about to do over the next months.
3. Stress Solutions Course
The Stress Solutions Course is aimed at groups wanting to learn how to identify and manage their stress triggers. The course is available as different options: 2 hour seminar, 3 hour workshop, 1 and 2 day Stress Course, or 1 hour per week or every 2 weeks over a period of 6 months or a 2 day retreat.
Are you working under pressure, deadlines looming, too much to do? Then now is the right time to learn about and practice stress management! Accumulated stress in your early 20’s to 30’s plays a pivotal role in health problems rearing their ugly heads in your 40’s and 50’s! Start now. Invest in your present and future health. You will notice a difference within a few weeks.
4. Mind Solutions Course
This course addresses the emotional reasons for overweight as well as food addictions. It helps you identify and deal with the deeper mental-emotional, subconscious saboteurs that thwart your best efforts at releasing weight permanently.
Do you go on diets, lose weight with extreme willpower and effort, only to pile it on again, after 3-12 months? If you’re like most people, you’re sick and tired of battling with your weight. You are hoping that THIS TIME you will FINALLY be able to drop the excess weight once and for all. It’s impossible to get rid of, or rather release, the excess weight doing the SAME THINGS you did the LAST TIME AND THE MANY TIMES BEFORE THAT – unless you do something DIFFERENT. You’re not alone!
5. Youthful Living Workshop
Next Workshop Date: Check out our Event page for more info
Did you know that it is perfectly possible to live life well for at least 120 years? Wouldn’t that be wonderful if we retained our wits and mind-body health?
Did you know that you can choose your biological age?
Did you know that behaviour trumps genetics when it comes to influencing how you will age? Learning how to access theta brain wave state at will, is the answer!
If you want to get the most out of a long and healthy life, you need to know how to choose wisely and well!
What to look forward to in this workshop:
- The old and new paradigms of ageing
- Emotions, thoughts and your physical reality
- Epigenetics: you are not a victim of your genes after all!
- DNA telomerase enzyme activation
- How to harness the power of your subconscious and super conscious minds to realise the life you desire
- Tips for heart, brain and body support
- Timeless DNA™Dancing and PlayFunFitness™
- An inspiring creative activity: practical and fun!
It is never too early or too late to make positive changes!
All in the comfort of your home, in your own time!
There are many fine things that money can buy but your health is a precious commodity without which everything else is inconsequential. Investing in your health and fitness is the most valuable step you can take for yourself, your family and your business. Do not allow dis-ease to ruin your life. Take charge and resume control over your own wellbeing. Do not allow dis-ease to creep up on you! Take action now to become and remain, abundantly healthy.
1. Optimise your Health & Wellbeing in Only 12 Weeks!
Online Health Coaching Course developed by Dr Arien van der Merwe
A step-by-step practical approach to a healthier you, by making informed decisions to increase health enhancing behaviours. Take charge of your health now.
You will receive the following:
- Introductory 2-hour Session with Dr Arien explaining the 12-Week Course as well as key concepts
- 12-Week Guided Health Coaching Course (PDF notes and assignments)
- Articles (PDF) explaining key concepts: Alchemy of Healing; 2-Day Gentle Detox Plan; Epigenetics, Peptides and Molecules of Emotion; Inflammation
- Dr Arien’s Stress Solutions eBook and relaxation CD (MP3)
- Dr Arien’s Health & Happiness eBook
- Exercise as Medicine booklet (PDF) with exercise program and demo by Anri van der Merwe
- Added benefit if you purchase the course: join our exclusive Facebook group and chat with us and other clients/patients
2. Mind-Body Coaching
Mind-Body Coaching™ or Mentoring is a fluid and adaptable process, continuously adjusted to the individual’s needs and progress, which is both goal and solution focused.
Human beings are multi-dimensional with many complex systems and internal constructs. We live in intellectual/mental, physical, emotional, spiritual, creative and linguistic spheres that continuously evolve and spiral to impact how we experience living, loving and working in this world. Because of our complexities, there isn’t ‘one way fits all’ when it comes to Mind-Body Coaching™.
3. Health Coaching
Health coaching or mentoring is the practice of health education and health promotion within a coaching context, to enhance the wellbeing of individuals and groups, by facilitating the achievement of health and wellbeing related goals.
4. 12-Week Super Body Challenge
Developed by Anri van der Merwe
I (Anri) started this 12-week Super Body Challenge, because 12 weeks is achievable, not too long and it gives you a time frame to work with to transform your body from flabby to fabulous. You CAN do this!
You will receive the following:
- 12-Week Eating Plan with 1-Week Meal Plan
- 12-Week Training Plan, including:
- Measuring your progress – for success
- Proper form & technique
- Exercise library to explain the execution of all exercise moves
- Weekly ratings
- Ongoing Support & Motivation via Social Media (Facebook & WhatsApp)
- Healthy tips for everyday
- Fitness factors & exercise info
Online Courses on Educate24
1. Ways to health & wellness
What Is This Course About?
The primary purpose of this course is to provide education and support which will enhance positive, health-enhancing behaviours, while decreasing negative, risky, health-harming behaviours through learning and understanding. Ultimately this course is about enabling people to take responsibility for their health and wellbeing, while enabling others to do the same.
Who should be doing this course?
This course is for everybody who would like to live a healthy, calm and positive life: The first step towards health and wellness is to understand how your body works and deals with negative inputs from you (e.g. stress, toxins, food) and its environment.
2. Practical Stress Management
This course includes an eBook and relaxation soundtrack when you download the course notes!
What Is This Course About?
This course is designed to teach the basic principles of stress management and relaxation training. The course will take learner-participants through the basics of stress management. The course includes understanding stress, the mind and emotion involved in the stress reaction, the body’s stress response and effect on anatomy and physiology, the role of nutrition, emotional wellbeing and daily relaxation time for optimal health and wellbeing. The course will give an overview and practical experience of developing and maintaining a healthy body and mind.
Who Should Be Doing This Course?
This course will help anyone who wants to learn more about managing their own stress levels, thereby developing resilience, and also then paying it forward by teaching or supporting others around them. It would also provide practical educational and experiential tools for health workers, wellness educators, that is, volunteers in the workplace who would like to learn more in order to teach and support their peers. Anyone who wants to improve the health and wellbeing of his/her own family and community will also find the course helpful.
3. Beginner Home Workouts
This course includes an Exercise Library!
What Is This Course About?
Exercise is probably the most effective lifestyle adaptation that there is. Exercise enhances health by improving quality of life, while lowering the risk of developing chronic lifestyle diseases (incl. diabetes, metabolic syndrome, heart disease, obesity/overweight, osteoporosis, arthritis, etc).
Beginner home workouts part 1 is designed to teach the basic principles of exercise including correct form, proper technique, exercise types, breathing, while including some essential eating guidelines. This course will also give a 6-week exercise program and exercise plan to follow daily. Finally, this course will provide an overview of developing a healthy body and mind by incorporating simple exercises and eating tips into your daily life. Beginner home workouts part 1 will be followed by Beginner home workouts part 2, to offer a complete 12-week exercise programme.
Who Should Be Doing This Course?
This course will help anyone who wants to start to incorporate exercise into their daily lives to improve their health, as their own healthy choice, or in response to their health practitioner’s recommendation based on existing health risks identified, or already existing disease, e.g. diabetes or obesity. This course will also be helpful to encourage and inspire anyone who’d like to pursue a career that involves helping other people exercise correctly by assisting them with the correct type of exercise as well as correct form and technique. This course can help anyone start with exercise slowly and gradually work their way up to an advanced level in 36 weeks.
Workplace Wellness Courses & Workshops
Dr Arien offers multiple courses & workshops in the workplace developed according to company specific requirements to increase productivity and decrease absenteeism & sick leave.
For more information click here to send an email.
1. Wellness Educator Training Course
WELLNESS EDUCATORS HAVE TO DEVELOP THE FOLLOWING SKILLS SET AS AN INHERENT PART OF THE TRAINING:
- Knowledge of the subject being trained on. In this instance health and wellness education on various related subjects (refer to content outline further on)
- Understanding and discussing the concept of roll models: we are not only our physical bodies. Often those who seem, on the surface, to be poor roll models, make the best peer educators/wellness champions! This concept is explored and discussed extensively.
- Communication skills: listening, interpreting messages, correct and persuasive communication skills, body language
- Public speaking skills
- Preparing a Powerpoint presentation from articles, Web-site info and books
- How to facilitate a learning process
- How to facilitate a behaviour change process
- Ability to accept people of different beliefs, values, cultures, races, genders, religions, sexual orientation
- Encourage analytical skills: questioning why & how you’ve always done things a certain way, also unquestioned beliefs that perpetuates from generation to generation; building new neural networks, reprogramming the brain for health enhancing behaviour
- Monitoring and evaluation skills
- Simple research skills
- Giving and receiving feedback
- Ability to evolve emotional support
- Problem solving skills
- Basic project management skills
- Basic report writing skills
The primary purpose of Wellness Educators and Practitioners is to facilitate positive, health enhancing behaviours and decrease negative, risky, health harming behaviours.
After completion of this course, candidates should:
- Be able to define & conceptualise wellness and understand the important effect of the educational approach for sustainable and lasting health and wellness behaviour change.
- Have a clear understanding of the roles, qualities, limitations of good wellness educators
- Have a workable knowledge of basic anatomy, physiology, wellness, nutrition, stress management, fitness and mental-emotional health, and be able to teach this to others
- Understand how to integrate the above into a practical wellness solution driven approach to health and wellness.
- Be able to use chronic diseases of lifestyle(or rather, health challenges) as an integrative model to finding lasting solutions for these.
- Be able to understand the benefit in regarding HIV/Aids as one of the CDL’s, rather than a loose standing entity
- Be able to facilitate a series of lectures to wellness educators in various workplace settings.
- Have good, experiential knowledge of presentation skills, capturing and holding audience attention and facilitation skills
2. Stress Solutions Course in a Workplace Setting
The Stress Solutions Course in a Workplace Setting is aimed at groups wanting to learn how to identify and manage their stress triggers. Would you prefer a calmer, more peaceful life, managing the daily stress triggers with equanimity, as a human being (vs a human doing!) from the still centre of a quiet mind? Practical stress management techniques and wellness principles for the workplace and the home, will teach you how. Stress management and wellness will be considered from an integrative perspective, where physical body, mind, emotions and soul are equally important. The tone remains light, with emphasis on personal experience and interaction. Life is also about fun and laughter, especially while learning new life enriching tools and techniques! Become all you’re meant to be!
The Stress Management Training is available as an Introductory Talk (45-60 minutes) as an awareness tool, also as a 2 hour seminar, 3 hour workshop, 1 and 2 day Stress Course, or 1 hour per week or every 2 weeks over a period of 6 months, to address each topic on a deeper level, with more participation from the group, and to demonstrate how health and happiness can be unconsciously sabotaged by habitual behaviour patterns, events and activities. The longer periods allow participants to experience a variety of practical exercises and tips, to use on a daily basis when confronted with stressful events and circumstances.
3. Short Course in Workplace Wellness
Workplace wellness interventions have become essential to successfully address the burden of disease in South Africa. It is time for a paradigm shift: for too long we’ve been focusing our attention on the problem (i.e. managing disease). Wellness interventions focus on the solution: health promotion, optimal health and wellness through awareness, education and new ways of thinking.
The course would be of value to anybody interested in the promotion of wellness, but in particular for those in the following fields: all the medical and health consulting disciplines, wellness practitioners, nursing professions, occupational health, human resource and employee assistance, paramedics, psychology, biokinetics, human movement sciences, spiritual and religious work, community workers, nutrition, medical aid and medical insurance representatives, child care, government, education, complementary health arena, occupational social work and recreational consultancy.
4. The Soul of Leadership™: Optimal Resilience and Integrative Health Coaching Program
Combining the science and mental training of mindfulness, with an understanding of the challenges, complexities, opportunities and responsibilities of today’s leaders
The Science of Leadership
- Approach: Practical, enjoyable, experiential approach with interaction, small group activities, integrative learning and sharing
- Science and optimal brain function
- Mind, brain and consciousness
- The science of meditation with practical experience
- Heart and brain synchronisation: from high beta to beta, then alpha, theta and delta brain rhythm, touching on the high performance gamma range. Ways to access preferred brain wave ranges using the 3 P’s (practice, patience and perseverance).
- Brain entrainment and resonant frequencies of brainwaves for whole brain functioning and creative thinking
- The effect of negative stress on the brain, heart and immune system
- Neuroscience, new biology and quantum physics
- Epigenetics, DNA activation and EPS (emotional positioning system) process work, tuning into the right brain (and right mind!); thoughts, emotions and resonant brainwave patterns; unconditional love as key business tool of the new leader: the heart as brain!
- Enhancing leadership strengths with a salutogenic* approach
5. Integrative Workplace Wellness Course
The spin offs (such as life skill training, leadership development) from the basic training in health, wellness and an integrative whole being approach to the chronic diseases of lifestyle, are very encouraging. It is also a clear indication of the success of wellness educator training as a workplace wellness intervention, and the only intervention to consistently demonstrate long term, lasting and sustainable, health behaviour change. Developing life skills and leadership qualities, experiencing personal growth, learning to manage emotions, increased self esteem and self confidence, lowering blood pressure, improving the health and wellbeing of colleagues, friends, family and community, all added to the increase in knowledge on health and wellness, show that wellness educator training has to be one of the best return on investment wellness interventions available today. WET is also becoming a powerful EAP tool, as employees learn to trust their Wellness Champions and discuss problems with them rather than a call centre assistant. Wellness Champions then refer to the necessary health professionals for further management.
6. Workplace Wellness: Longevity. Preparing for Wisdom Years
The wellness needs of mature employees, from age 50 to infinitum, is where the current and future focus of companies is and will be – how to deal with an ageing workforce who, with health and wellness guidance, will be quite able to work well into their 70’s and even 80’s, with the correct preparation for their wisdom years. Companies will be wise to utilise the cumulative years of expertise, knowledge and wisdom that can support a succession planning protocol for any company. Nearly 20% of the work force will be age 50 or older at any given time, with most of these planning and able, to work well into their very senior years. Business leaders are already scrambling to develop strategies for dealing with the impact of an ageing workforce. It’s about time to consider ways to improve longevity and positive ageing, through lifestyle factors and re-activating the DNA telomerase enzyme deep within our cells!
Please feel free to contact me should you have any queries
Dr Arien van der Merwe MBChB FRSPH MISMA
Medical Specialist Health and Wellbeing
Director: Health Stress Management Gauteng (Pty) Ltd
For more information about the presenter click here