Weight 4 Weight Community Project
‘Lose Weight to Donate’
Never before, has losing weight been so rewarding!
Our Team (Dr Arien, Anri and Nellie) put our heads together, because it’s time to give back in appreciation for all we receive. We came up with a great idea: to donate margarine to those in need, in kilo’s, based on the FAT weight clients lose at the Weight Control Clinic. Anri and Dr Arien then decided margarine is too unhealthy, that health education, establishing healthy eating habits and food gardens, are key to long term support, while encouraging solutions and lasting change in disadvantaged communities. Dr Arien came up with the idea to donate legumes (e.g. lentils, chick peas, red sugar beans – wonderfully healthy protein sources), together with a healthy recipe (see below) in proportion to the weight clients lose per month, from January to August 2015.The communities will receive living edible plant seeds pasted onto newspaper strips, that can be inserted into the soil, then watered with rain, grey or waste water, to grow and nurture until maturity, so that families can start eating the fresh food they produce themselves.
The communities will also receive clothes, shoes and other useful items that is converted from our patients’ FAT loss.
Dr Arien (on the right) handing over the equivalent FAT loss weight converted into legumes, clothes, shoes and vege seeds to Jeannette (on the left) from Changing Lives SA, on Thursday, 10 Sept. 2015 at our offices in Brooklyn, Pretoria, just before we move to our new offices at Optimum Care in Faerie Glen, Pretoria, on Monday, 14 Sept. 2015!
Healthy nutritious and delicious bean dish
- Soak together for a few hours (approximately 4 hours): chick peas, red sugar beans, lentils (green, brown and red) and/or butter beans.
- Fry fresh onion, ginger, garlic & tomato in a little oil (canola, sunflower, extra virgin or coconut oil)
- Add vegetable salt, pepper and other fresh herbs (e.g. basil, coriander, rosemary, thyme) to taste
- Add water and bring to boil
- Add the thoroughly soaked bean mixture. First throw away the soak water – don’t cook the beans in it – it contains the gas forming substances!
- Cook everything together on simmer for a few hours until soft.
- This dish can be prepared in high volume once a week, to provide food for every day of the week