18 June 2015: Diabetes & Metabolic Syndrome Talk
Address: Healthy Living Space (360 Murray St, Brooklyn, Pretoria)
Book your seats NOW (space is limited):
Attend this free introductory talk on Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome, facilitated by Dr Arien van der Merwe. Space is limited and booking is essential. Find out what Metabolic Syndrome is, what the symptoms are and what you can do to improve and/or prevent Metabolic Syndrome.
Dr Arien van der Merwe just finished her book on Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome for NB Publishers (to be released Sept. 2015). Dr Arien will be facilitating support groups.
Do you have little or no energy to exercise, are you tired and struggling to lose fat?
You might have Metabolic Syndrome!
Statistics released during 2010: 150 million people diagnosed with Metabolic Syndrome! This is expected to rise to 300 million by 2030. This serious health risk can result in many other diseases, such as depression, heart disease, colon and breast cancer, diabetes, etc. However, there is hope!
Symptoms of Metabolic Syndrome:
- Increased waist circumference: abdominal circumference > 102 cm in men, > 88 cm in women
- Increased triglycerides: > 1.7 mmol/1
- Reduced HDL : < 1.0 mmol/l for men; < 1.3 mmol/l for women
- High blood pressure: >130 mmHg systolic; > 85 mmHg diastolic
- Increased fasting glucose: WHO – 6.1-6.9 mmol/l
- Insulin resistance
- Increased fasting insulin (values differ according to different laboratories)